Thursday, March 6, 2014

Week 22 The Sounds of Silence

This week we were to find hours if not days to be totally silent...  I was so excited to go for it because my life is filled with noise.  for years we have called our home the "house of noise".   I have have 7 children, four still in the home - two in grade school, one a High School senior, one in college all of which bring their friends over as well as my aging mother who lives with us so I can care for her, four grandchildren who visit OFTEN, a wife finishing her degree and two dogs all in a 1200 sq. foot home.  The thought of just being still sounds great!  It's just not easily accomplished and being a man who always keeps his promises and having already scheduled my week before the webcast (Fri OATS) - I was only able to spend several hours at a time on a couple of days in total solitude...  I am working out my calendar to give me more opportunities to be quiet in longer periods of time this coming week.  However I did stop all radio, music, t.v. and any unnecessary talking or noise all week long and it was great.  I have been studying meditation and so this has been a double wammy for me.

I learned through the silence to be a better listener!  The sound of the wind, the rain hitting the windows, the breathing of the dog was always there, but I had never really listened to it.  I realized that I had never really listened to other things as well like - my daughter singing in her bedroom playing with dolls;  I always heard her but never listened to the words she was singing.... very insightful!  I learned to not be in a hurry to answer questions of solve everyone's problems...  I fell asleep.  I learned to follow impressions of thought from threads to tapestries.  I fell asleep.  I learned to be more gentle with others and myself.  I became more even tempered.  I fell asleep.  I lost track of time.  Some times my thoughts were focused and others I let my thoughts wonder where they would.  It was fun and invigorating and I'm excited to plan more time in the future to be alone with my thoughts.  What will I learn tomorrow!

I was also deeply interested in what Mark said about picking the ONE THING and focusing on it!  So while in my quiet time I redid the assessment where I took the five or so things in my DMP and numbered them and ranked them with each other and re-committed myself to the #1 item.  I'm waking up and going to make some real noise!

4 comments:

Delaine Keith said...

Thanks for sharing your experience in the silence. It encourages me to do that too, as we have been asked to do. The not reading part is what has tripped me up.

Stu Estler said...

I agree, the quality of the silence is equally valuable, even in shorter periods.

Anonymous said...

Love hearing your experience and the impact of it. Thanks for sharing it.

Steve said...

Thanks for sharing your silent experience! I'm looking forward to it myself!